Hemorrhoids Causes and Symptoms
Hemorrhoids are enlarged vascular structures located in the lower part of rectum and anus which helpsto control stool. The clinical condition is also called as piles which are classified into two categories such as internal and external hemorrhoids.
The symptoms of piles depend on the type present like in the case of an internal hemorrhoidsthere is painless rectal bleeding while external hemorrhoids feature with pain in the area of the anus.
They become swollen following increase of the pressure within them commonly in the case of straining at stools defecation or during pregnancy where the pressure is exerted because of the enlarged uterus.
Causes of Hemorrhoids
- Straining during bowel movements
- Sitting for long periods of time
- Anal infections
- Certain diseases, such as liver cirrhosis
Symptoms of Hemorrhoids :
- Anal itching
- Anal ache or pain, especially while sitting
- Cavernosal disorders
- Bright red blood on toilet tissue, stool, or in the toilet bowl
- Pain during bowel movements
- One or more hard tender lumps near the anus
How to diagnose the hemorrhoids
- Stool guaiac
Tips to prevent hemorrhoids
- Over-the-counter corticosteroid creams to help reduce pain and swelling
- Hemorrhoid creams with lidocaine to help reduce pain
- Stool softeners help reduce straining and constipation
- Witch hazel (applied with cotton swabs) can reduce itching.
- Wear cotton undergarments.
- Avoid toilet tissue with perfumes or colors, use baby wipes instead.
- Try not to scratch the area
- Sitz baths can help you to feel better. Sit in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes.